10 Quirky and Weird Facts About Cats – #6 Will Reveal Your Cat’s Respect Levels
It’s always amusing to enjoy some feline fun. These 10 quirky and weird facts about cats will likely surprise you or even educate you on some of your cat’s habits or behavior. Cats are wonderful and lovable companions that are interesting creatures.
10. Cats can’t taste sweets – There is a reason your cat prefers the savory dry foods. Joe Brand, biochemist and associate director at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia explained that cats lack 247 base pairs of the amino acids that make up the DNA of the taste gene.
Related: Crazy and Fun Cat Facts
9. Cats purr when in pain and purring promotes healing within the feline. – Leslie A. Lyons, an assistant professor at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California reveals that cats purr at a frequency between 25 and 150 Hertz, which has shown that sound frequencies in this range can improve bone density and promote healing.
8. Female cats tend to be right-pawed, while male cats tend to be left-pawed. – Psychologists Deborah Wells and Sarah Millsopp of Queen’s University Belfast ran a test that revealed the lateralized behavior.
7. Cats brains are 90% similar to a human brain. – While dogs tend to be utilized in positions like the military and positions like seeing-eye dogs thanks to their smarts, cats are very intelligent too! In fact, cats’ cerebral cortex contains about twice as many neurons as that of dogs according to Psychology Today.
6. You can tell if your cat respects you by whether or not they cover their waste. – Basically, cats cover their poo with litter or sand as submission or favor to their human. According to Pet Place, wild cats use uncovered waste as a territory marker, so if your kitty covers it up, they are respecting you as the boss.
5. Cats sweat through their paws. – Cats have adapted to heat thanks to their evolution in the desert. As ‘Cat Owner’s Veterinary Handbook’ explains, felines’ sweat glands are found only in foot pads and they use their licking bathing habits to stay cool.
4. A cat’s nose pattern is as unique as a fingerprint. – Research has shown that each cat has a ridge pattern on the pad of their nose that is completely their own.
Related: 5 Weird Cat Behaviors Explained
3. Cats are speedy! – On average, cats can have short bursts of speed up to 31 mph.
2. Cats spend most of their lives asleep. – According to Animal Planet, cats spend 70% of their sleeping. Another 1/3 of their day is spent grooming!
1. In the original Italian version of Cinderella, the lovable fairy godmother was a cat. – There are many variations of this tale, but I bet the feline godmother would be a huge problem for Disney’s Cinderella’s mouse friends!