Cat-Proofing Your House: 4 Things In Your House That Could Make Your Pet Seriously Sick
Is your house cat-proof? Our cats are naturally curious creatures, and when we aren’t home they love to snoop around and get in to anything and everything. If you have come home to find the cupboards in your kitchen kitty-ransacked, then you are not alone. The last thing we want is anything to happen to our feline friends, so we put together a list of potentially dangerous items you should always make sure are inaccessible to your kitties before you leave the house.
Rat or Insect Poison
Now, if your cat is doing their job, then rat and mice shouldn’t be a problem. But, if for some strange reason you have had a rodent problem – you should NEVER leave rat poison or any kind of insect poison for that matter lying around in a place where your cat may find it. Just like rats and mice are tricked in to eating it, so will your cat. Also, those painful mousetraps with cheese or peanut butter on them are also just as painful for your cat.
If you have a cat, then you are most likely constantly battling pet odors in your house, and like the majority of pet owners you have some sort of potpourri, liquid potpourri, and gel air freshener somewhere in your house. You should never leave your kitty unattended with air fresheners or liquid potpourri. Just a few licks could cause painful chemical burns on their tongue, and if a lot is ingested it could even lead to liver failure.
We have all done it, after a delicious meal you toss the scraps in the garbage, bones and all. Any kind of chicken bones, or poultry bones in general can seriously harm your cat if they decide to ransack the garbage and try to eat them. The tiny bones are hard for cats to digest, and could even get caught in their throats or do serious damage to their digestive tracks. Basically, you will always want to keep your kitchen garbage secure or somewhere your cat can’t get to it. Bones are just the tip of the iceberg, any foil, Styrofoam, or plastic wrappers that still have food on them will be of interest to your cats, and potentially harmful if swallowed.
Plants are tricky when it comes to pets, especially cats. While your beloved houseplant could be completely non-toxic, your cat could wind up having some sort of allergic reaction to it. You should always check your plants for kitty bite marks, and if you think your cat has been chomping down on it when you aren’t looking – find another place to put it where your feline friend can’t reach it. Cat’s reactions to plants vary, based on the plant and the cat, but you should be better safe than sorry.